This project is read-only.

Suggestion for new feature in BingPaper

Apr 16, 2010 at 1:43 PM

I have a suggestion for a new feature in Bing Paper. It would be nice to be able to adjust your Windows colors to match the picture of the day.

May 9, 2010 at 3:27 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Sep 23, 2010 at 2:29 PM

If possible run as service, and update wallpaper a specific hour or schedule.

Sep 26, 2010 at 9:41 PM
gituncar wrote:

If possible run as service, and update wallpaper a specific hour or schedule.

Greetings,

Sure, I suppose this could be turned into a service but there are a few implications to doing so.  If no user was logged in, there would be no destop to apply the wallpaper to.  At that point BingPaper would merely sit and collect images but not much else.  The way I use it is to create a windows scheduled task to kick BingPaper off as specific intervals (I have it run once an hour to pick up any changes made, useful for times during the olypmics where the bing image changed often thoughout the day.)

I created a script file that looks like so:

@ECHO OFF
@ECHO Executing BingPaper.
@ECHO Fetching Australia...
C:\Tools\codejockey.net\BingPaper\BingPaper.exe -useConfig -countryCode="Australia"
@ECHO Fetching Canada...
C:\Tools\codejockey.net\BingPaper\BingPaper.exe -useConfig -countryCode="Canada"
@ECHO Fetching China...
C:\Tools\codejockey.net\BingPaper\BingPaper.exe -useConfig -countryCode="China"
@ECHO Fetching Germany...
C:\Tools\codejockey.net\BingPaper\BingPaper.exe -useConfig -countryCode="Germany"
@ECHO Fetching Japan...
C:\Tools\codejockey.net\BingPaper\BingPaper.exe -useConfig -countryCode="Japan"
@ECHO Fetching New Zealand...
C:\Tools\codejockey.net\BingPaper\BingPaper.exe -useConfig -countryCode="New Zealand"
@ECHO Fetching United Kingdom...
C:\Tools\codejockey.net\BingPaper\BingPaper.exe -useConfig -countryCode="United Kingdom"
@ECHO Fetching United States...
C:\Tools\codejockey.net\BingPaper\BingPaper.exe -useConfig -countryCode="United States"
@ECHO Done.

Then create a scheduled task to kick off that script file once an hour.

Does this address what you're after or is there another advatage to creating a service?  I'm not at all against it, but I am carious: what is it that you're after?

Thanks for taking the time to suggest this!

-Eric